Summer in Florida is full of surprises when it comes to the weather. During this time of year it’s a good idea to keep an eye on tropical storms brewing in the Caribbean. Having the security of a hurricane-safe home is just part of the equation.
The other part is your hurricane preparedness kit. This article focuses on some of the essentials to include in your household hurricane kit.
- Water. It’s a good idea to plan for one gallon per person, per day, keeping in mind that a three day supply is recommended by most preparedness experts. When a storm approaches, stores can run low on these supplies, so it is best to purchase water before a storm approaches. Store your water in a cool and dry place in your home.
- Non-perishable food. Again, a three day supply is recommended when it comes to non-perishable food for you and your family. Be sure to include a can opener in your kit if needed.
- Flashlight. During storm season in Florida, power outage is always a consideration. Although the outage may be brief, a flashlight is an important element of your emergency kit. Prior to the arrival of a storm, be certain to check all batteries and include extra batteries.
- A wrench or pliers. When the power does come back on, it may create a power surge. That’s why it is a good idea to include a wrench or pliers. You may want to turn the power to your home off, and then after power has been restored, turn it back on. You’ll be glad you included these tools in your kit.
- Battery powered or crank am/fm radio. Most of us have become used to getting our news updates from our mobile phones. However, during a hurricane cell phone services can be hard to obtain. It’s also a good idea to free up the cell phone networks to handle emergency calls. This is why a battery powered radio is essential to keep you connected to news and storm information.
The decision to evacuate or shelter in place is personal. Whatever you decide, it’s important to be prepared. We hope that this short list helps you get started on your hurricane preparedness kit.